Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I'm not the only one who hates guitar hero


I chose to read Why the Music Industry Hates Guitar Hero by Jeff Howe on page 268 of our textbook. The magazine article beings with informing the reader that Warner Music is at odds with Guitar Hero's success because of how little the amount of money is paid to Warner for licensing fees. Half of the article explains the reasoning behind the feud but the argument is such a slippery slope since MTV games and Warner's are so co-dependent on each other. The last half of the magazine essay is Howe's innovative suggestions on how to resolve the tense financial situation.
There were many impressive points to Howe's article. His position on the Guitar Hero/Warner Music argument was clear but he made his opinion persuasive without being obnoxious. I also appreciated how he offered solutions to the problem instead of just explaining why one side is more right than the other. His suggestions for resolution were very detailed and sensible; and as a result, I the reader was more inclined to trust Howe's credibility to the situation. What I appreciated the most was the picture of a deflated guitar included within the article. It contains a strong visual rhetoric and leaves a lasting impression on the reader.
In my opinion, this article was well-written, Jeff Howe did a solid job. There is nothing I would change and I can not think of any constructive criticisms. He impressively made his point tactfully without beating around the bush. I honestly think his suggestions to Guitar Hero and Warner Music Group should be carefully considered!   

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent analysis, Jenna! You've done nice work with your text responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I actually enjoy blogging the text responses! =)

    ReplyDelete